Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"Such a Triple Threat"

Stella Simona
Head Designer of Haati Chai
Beyond the surface of beauty and into the core of the mind exists tremendous artistry. After being in awe by the unique eye catching designs, I developed a true interest in the work of Stella Simona. Stella Simona is the CEO/head designer of Haati Chai ( pronounced "Haa thee: and "chai" like chai tea) a jewelry line based in Los Angeles.The word Haati means "elephant" and "chai" of course means tea. These are two of her favorite things  for which her culture is known. The line launched March 2011. All of the pieces are influenced by ancient designs particularly her roots from India. The jewelry has a contemporary trendy twist to the traditional Indian Jewlery.

Stella is actually a photographer and model. Haati Chai was originally created for incorporating custom jewelry into her photo shoots.The men pieces are designed by Caleb Wilson who also Co CEO of Stella Simona Photography. One thing lead to another and before she new it, a large number of people began to request custom pieces. The custom pieces were not just popular in the U.S. but all over the world. Japan, India, China, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Canada, and Germany are a few places where the line is trending.

" Into the mind of Stella."



KN: At what age did you discover your talent for photography?
SS: I was 19, Prior to this I dabbled into modeling. Being in that environment opened my eyes to the world of creativity. I caught myself during photo shoots wanting to jump in and suggest different ways to take a shot or even suggest other concepts. I always like being in control and executing so with photography I was able to do that as well as express myself.

KN: As a designer do you tend to follow the trends in accessories or create the trend?

Kelly Roland rockin Haati Chai
SS: Its a little of both. To make everything trendy I do take different elements and incorporate it into my own designs. For example this past year mixing of metals is the new “it” thing. Before people would only wear all silver, all gold, or all copper pieces -- nothing was allowed to mix. Right now mixing all the different metal tones is in. I used that specific element and incorporated it into my authentic designs. I chose to do this with my designs not just because it's in but because as someone who definitely loves being daring when it comes to design, it was a perfect fit .

KN: Is there any period of fashion from India that influences your designs?

SS: All the ancient periods of India influence my designs most. Current designs are interesting however I feel they venture too much into trying to appear Westernized. Everything’s all glitzy and bedazzled. Anything tribal, full of intricacy, rich in colors, more hand-made appearing always catches me. I catch myself looking to less westernized areas of India for my current influences, the areas where people are still practicing old traditions and wearing old styles of jewelry. The idea of it not being mainstream is very catchy.

KN: While designing pieces, what flows through your mind?

Stella Simona Photography
SS: I am completely relaxed while designing pieces. I do have extreme urges where I feel rushed from getting from point A to point Z. Its because I get this vision and i’m anxious as heck to see the piece be all finished. Other than that like I said I’m completely relaxed. Doing all the things I do I constantly have a lot on my mind. I’m constantly dealing with clients and their preferences when doing photoshoots. “Can you make sure this looks like blah blah blah” or “what if blah blah” . However when it comes to the jewelry no one can tell me anything, its utter relaxation. If anyone decides they don't like it that's fine, and if they do like it that's fine too. Each piece is a reflection of my mood at the time -- edgy, dark, feminine, sexy, etc. So its understandable that someone may feel it or not feel for it. Plus not every piece is meant for everyone unless they feel it reflects them.

KN: How do you create concepts for photo shoots? (Random thoughts,Nature…….)

SS: Honestly for shoots I get inspirations from everywhere. If I’m working with a client I tell them to send me pics of different things they like and explain why they like each picture. Whether they like a shot because of the hair on the model, or the concept, location, colors, etc. Its basically the same as when you hire an event planner and discuss different inspirations with them and then they pitch you different concepts they have come up for your event. So from the images and ideas the clients send me and my partner Caleb Wilson put together concepts and if the client agrees to any of them, we proceed. Otherwise its back to point A. If the shoot is something we are strictly doing for our own portfolio the concepts come from our mood or something we have been thinking of trying. Lately we’ve been really intrigued with shadows, I like the mysterious effect. It adds more depth. So in all our shoots we incorporate that effect. The rest of the final product just comes to us as we are shooting.

KN: What has been your most popular jewelry piece created?

Stella Simona Photography
SS: People like a piece they can wear everyday. Something that is traditional yet unconventional at the same time. The Haati Chai Duo Mehndi Rings have been a big hit since they were launched. Though they are rings and can be worn everyday, the fact that they are to be worn on an entire finger or on two seperate fingers while being connected with a slinky chain gives it its own twist. They are definitely a conversation starter.

KN: What is your prediction for the accessories in 15 years?

SS: I feel that people nowadays don’t understand jewelry anymore. I grew up in my culture knowing that each piece of jewelry I was given had a meaning. And the longer I had it the more meaning I would create. In India, in a specific region ,women are given bangles on their wedding day which they wear their whole lives. When their husband passes away they throw the bangles into the ocean. In another region when women are seen wearing nose rings it means they are unmarried, if they are wearing a nose stud that means they are wed. There are different pieces for coming of age, protection against evil, and so on. I want to continue creating timeless pieces. I want these to be the pieces you find in your mother’s jewelry box and feel you found a treasure. I want them to be given their own meaning by the individuals who wear them, not to be tossed out like costume jewelry.

KN: Dead or Alive if you can work with a famous fashion icon, who would it be?

Haati Chai
SS: Honestly I don’t know. As much as I pay attention to fashion I don't as well. Though these major lines have been setting the trends on a very widespread level the smaller people are always the people I end up looking to. I didn't grow up on designers I grew up on appreciating design.  My first time going back home I was introduced to my families private silversmith and goldsmith. The roots of my culture come from individualism. Over there when a women sees that the new trend is to wear per say a heavy gold necklace she goes to her jeweler and custom designs something in that criteria but makes sure hers is one of a kind. When I visited back home I drew out the design I wanted, decided the size I wanted and had my first custom pieces made. I pull influences from different lines/designers I like but at the same time I don’t think I obsess over wanting to learn their exact style because then I'm not my own style. I hope this makes sense.

KN: Do you ever experience creator’s block?

SS: I have experienced a creator’s block. This is why I love that I shuffle being a professional photographer as well as a designer. When I can’t handle one thing I shift to the other. It’s such a stress reliever. Soon as I figure out the angle I want to approach the situation I go right back to the project.

KN: What’s up next for Stella Simona?

SS: Well we are launching our official Haati Chai website by the end of this year. Will be releasing a new lookbook as well as a few other surprises. As far as photography there are several magazines publishing our work in the next year. I will be updating you guys soon as everything releases!


We look forward to seeing what's next for this talented woman. Below are some photos of her work!



Haati Chai




Haati Chai

Haati Chai

Haati Chai

Haati Chai

Haati Chai

Haati Chai


Stella Simona Photography
Caleb Wilson.com

Stella Simona Photography
Caleb Wilson.com

Stella Simona Photograhy
Caleb Wilson.com
Haati Chai
www.calebwilson.com




Another Exclusive Article! Thanks for your support

2 comments: